Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"Why Do You Write in a Journal?"

      I've been asked more times than one why I journal. I suppose it's because I've talked about it more times than one. There are a few reasons, and maybe this blog post will inspire you to start a journal if you don't already have one. I started writing in a little spiral journal when I was in 5th grade. I don't have it anymore because I wrote such nonsense, such as what show I was currently watching at the time and the entries consisted of maybe a good 5 or 6 sentences. However, I remember my first journal entry being about performing in the middle school talent show with one of my close friends. Cue the embarrassment...LOL. I started out just writing the positives of the day. That way, if I had had a bad day, I was forced to think about even the slightest bit of good that occurred.
         A big reason I write in my journal is because of how therapeutic it is. What I do is type all of my entries on my computer, because I can quickly pour all of my feelings out, and later on, I transfer it into my paper journal with pen. (Pencil fades and smudges over time....but I digress). I analyze everything! I don't just write "Today was a good day. I'm happy". I talk about WHY today was such a good day/ WHAT about it made me happy. I try to fill in as much detail as I can. 
       Another reason I keep a journal is to capture the beautiful memories. I would say that I have a pretty sharp memory, but sometimes when a long time passes, you don't remember details off the top of your head. If I received a text or call that made my day, or made me smile, I'll write about it. I can't tell you how many times I've re-read journal entries and think "Oh my gosh! I remember that now!" And it will still put a huge smile on my face. I was actually doing that earlier tonight, and I just have such gratitude for three amazing people that really made me feel like I was part of their family for the time being. I had never felt a sense of family connectivity before meeting them, and I will forever hold a place for them in my heart. A year has gone by, and I haven't forgotten them, or how they made me feel, but re-reading certain details made my heart melt. 
       I think writing in a journal is important for many reasons. I'm working on a few projects that I've had to go back and use journal entries for. It's also cool to sometimes read a journal entry from exactly a year prior, and see how much your life has, or maybe hasn't changed. Writing goals in a journal is also an idea, and something I sometimes do. If I go back and see that I haven't accomplished a goal, it's incentive for me to get a move on. Obviously it's disappointing to write "I'm going to accomplish this! I'm so excited!" And then a month later: "so my new plan is..." But, if I have accomplished a goal, it's a proud moment, and it pushes me to keep going. 
     If you have ever wondered why myself or other people maybe write so frequently in a journal, I hope this helps answer your questions. And if you don't currently write in a journal, I strongly encourage you to try it out! :)



Prayers&Positivity
Becka

No comments:

Post a Comment