Saturday, February 22, 2014

'Jesus > Religion' Summary (Chapters 3 & 4) + Discussion Questions

                     If you have yet to read my blog on Chapters 1 & 2, I would recommend checking that one out before continuing reading! :) It's been about a week and a half, and I apologize for the delay in writing this; I've been enjoying time off of school...maybe a bit too much LOL. So here we go into the next two chapters!!

Chapter 3: Fundies, Fakes, and Other So-Called Christians
                  Jeff actually has a YouTube video under this same title [ http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNOkSLACLX8 ] He talks a lot about the stereotype of how many people "act Christian". Fundamentalists, in this chapter are referred to as the people who follow the "rules of Christianity" but don't actually apply them to their life, or understand why God wants certain things for our lives. They follow rules, but don't have the intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. Fakes are the people who I've heard several people complain about, and why a lot of people actually don't want to go to church, because there are those people that will shake your hand at service, but don't acknowledge you, or aren't Christian-like outside of the church. I really liked this chapter (as I do all of them!) because as I said, I've personally heard of this issue and people will tell me they don't go to church because of the fake people. However, instead of Jeff "bashing" the fundamentalists, or the fakes, he really questions our own judgment and lifts US up in not letting those people stop us from receiving God's grace. Jeff ends the chapter with the church story [I will link in the discussion question] that I could actually really relate to and again, he really wanted to challenge us to dig deep within ourselves.

*Highlights From the Chapter that Inspired Me*
"Jesus essentially said, 'I know my miracles are awesome. I know I have immense power. But don't follow me for the wrong reason. The cost is high." (pg. 39)

"Fundamentalism is living by the rules to stay out of trouble, rather than seeing the rules as tools to bring us intimacy and joy." (pg. 43)

"Persecution, like fire, burns up the weak elements (wood and hay), but actually purifies the strong ones (silver and gold)." (pg. 48)




Chapter 2 Discussion Questions (& some Answers)
The questions I've answered are ones that can be found in the book, or ones that I really wanted to include. The ones that I have left blank are questions you will have to answer personally. Take the time to read these questions and honestly answer them to how they apply to you!
 
1. Jeff would admit that he sometimes clings to religious rules or dead orthodoxy rather than living Faith. What about you?

2. Why do you think some rules -such as prohibitions against alcohol, swearing, and tattoos -are given more weight in religious circles than caring for the poor and downtrodden?
This is definitely an issue in society today, and it’s because a lot of people are unfortunately fundies, and because of that, they don’t know actual scripture, they know what myths have been passed down about Christianity over several hundred years, but because they don’t know what they’re preaching is false/no specific verse for it, they are also unaware of HOW MUCH the scripture tells us to love one another, and help each other.
 
 
3. Has the general Christian response to the gay community shown mercy, justice, and faithfulness? Why or why not?

*4. Jeff states, “Heaven isn’t a place for people who are scared of hell; it’s for people who love Jesus.” What’s your understanding of Heaven?*
 
5. “when we have no real transforming power of Jesus in our hearts, we still want to act as we always have, so we hold up a list of external behaviors so others can look at us and still see we’re Christians.” Has this been your experience? Explain.

6. If the kind of people you attract and repel reveals the authenticity of your faith, how are you doing?

7. In the parable of the two sons, the father wants both to enjoy the party. Are you more likely to resist or take part? Why?https://bible.org/seriespage/two-sons



Chapter 4: Religion Makes Enemies/Jesus Makes Friends
                 This is actually my favorite chapter thus far! Jeff starts it off with a story about an almost-fight he partook in in High School, and how at the time, he felt almost as though the cops showing up before anything really happened seemed like an adrenaline killer, but looking back he realizes it was God's saving grace. He then discusses the "hatred" we have for people who aren't the same as us, and how that developed/why we think that way. Religion is actually a big reason many people think that women, and gays are minorities. Religious people tend to think they're "good with God" because of just that, they're religious. And they start to act as if they know everything and they are on a pedestal. However, true Jesus-followers critique themselves, not others. Jeff states on page 63, "Last time I checked, I was my own worst enemy. No one has caused me more grief, pain, or heartache than I have. The Bible rarely tells me to fight against what I believe, but it frequently tells me to fight against my sin and the disease in me that's drawing me away from Jesus." Through this, he talks about how being a true Jesus-follower means loving someone even though they disagree with you. Again, I'm not going to give out any major spoilers, but there is one instance in particular he discusses with his Mom, and how they can disagree on it, but no one ever walks away from the discussion angry or upset. Another huge reason I Love this chapter is because it reminds me immensely of the quote "Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you."


*Highlights From the Chapter than Inspired Me*
"Religious people see certain people as the enemies, when Jesus-followers see sin as the enemy." (pg. 63)

"We are greedy, filthy, idolatry-loving, glory-hungry thieves. And when we trust Jesus, he washes us. He redeems us-all of us." (pg. 66)

”God is always a fan of going to the marginalized so his saving power isn’t credited to human wisdom but to His grace.” (pg. 71)

”…if you ignore every single thing Jesus commanded you to do, you’re not a Christian. You’re just auditing. You’re not Christ’s followers. You’re just fans.” -Bill Maher




Chapter 4 Discussion Questions (& some Answers)
 
1. Why is it so hard to love “them”.
          In other words, why is it so hard to love people who view things differently than us?

 
2. Jeff says he’s intrigued that Christianity flourished the most when it was under persecution and not sanctioned by the government. Why do you think that is the case?I’m actually intrigued by this as well, and I feel the reasoning is because trials and tribulations will always be what tests our Faith, and really makes us strong in our Faith, as opposed to when being sanctioned by the government, you can be a “fan” instead of a “follower” and no one will question it.

3. Have you ever tried washing yourself from your sin rather than letting Jesus do this work of grace?

4. Describe what most attracts you to the person of Jesus.First and foremost, the fact that He died for us is an AMAZING thing to think about. It’s way more than that, but for lack of a better word, AMAZING. How many people do you know would be torturously murdered for everyone else’s sins? Would you? I know I wouldn’t. and that alone attracts me to my Faith in Him because he Loves us that much. He wants us to succeed that much, and He is always there for us.

5. Jeff suggests that idolatry is “the act of placing anything or anyone above Jesus as the ultimate source of worth, satisfaction, and identity.” Why do we place other things above Jesus in our lives? Where do you find your worth, satisfaction, and identity?


6. If you were truly to follow Jesus, what would be different in your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment