Friday, August 16, 2013

"Adoption"

For those of you that don't know, my brother is adopted; however, that is his story to tell, not mine. The reason for this blog is because I want to make something a little clearer: Our parents took him home from the hospital -he is THEIR son. 
      When we were younger, kids would ask me obvious questions, such as "why do you guys look different?" At the time, it was a little strange because I never looked at him differently and it was odd to me that other people did. But now I realize that kids are curious and it's all fine and well. 
      What really bothers me is how close-minded people are to this day. My brother will be 20, and I'll be 17; so there's really no excuses at this age, other than people being either ignorant, or thinking they know things when they know zero. It shocks me that there are still people that make comments saying "your adopted brother". No, he is and has ALWAYS been MY BROTHER. He is the brother God intended for me to have. I don't look at him as "someone else's kid" or "my brother who is adopted". He's just my brother. 
        I had a friend that if I talked to about a fight I had with him, and I felt like my Dad was taking his side or something (typical sibling problems), she would make the remark, "but you're his blood daughter". No matter how mad I was about the fight, those remarks angered me more. Like I previously have said, my brother is our parent's child, just as I am. He is the son God wanted our parents to have. 
        A child who is adopted did not choose to be. They weren't born saying "I don't like my blood family, give me to this one". A lot of children are adopted because their biological parents can't give them the life they deserve. I think it's a precious and selfless thing. Regardless of the fights, the yelling, any negative thing, my brother is my brother.
         I realize that some comments are not made with the intention of offending anybody, but with topics like Adoption, you want to think before you speak (as we all should with anything). 



Prayers&Positivity 
Becka

No comments:

Post a Comment